Thunder River Outdoor Recreation and Campground is located along the Russell Fork River in what is known locally as the “Splashdam” area in Haysi, VA. The property was once home to a thriving coal community until a flood in 1957. After that it served as the site for a Clinchfield Coal Company “tipple” for several years. More recently the property was abandoned and had become overgrown and pretty much uninhabitable. The site, now owned by the Hill family has undergone a transformation to become a destination for camping and outdoor recreation.
The location beside the river offers access for fishing, kayaking/canoeing/tubing, swimming and picnicking in a private setting. During the month of October, with the release of water from the John Flannagan Dam, Dickenson County and the Russell Fork become a destination for white water rafters.
The property is also on an ATV route with access to the Haysi Ridgeview Trailhead approximately one mile away. The Haysi Ridgeview Trail is part of the Spearhead Trail system which in connection with the Coal Canyon trail offers approximately 200 miles of trails (connects to the town of Grundy and the Breaks Park).
- Park, unload your ATVs, and ride!
- 10 full hookup sites
- 10 primitive sites
- Located approximately 2 miles from the town of Haysi.
- Close to Breaks Interstate Park, John Flannagan Dam, Ralph Stanley Museum, Birch Knob, High Knob, towns of Haysi, Grundy, and Clintwood.
- Day Use Area
- Dump Station
- Fire Rings/Firewood
- River Access (Fishing, Tubing, Swimming, Rafting)
- Pets Allowed
- Picnic Tables
- RV Sites
- Sewer Hookups
- Tent Sites